Garden Meeting Update
Good Morning Everyone -
I apologize for not sending this sooner. We held our monthly garden meeting last Wednesday, and I have a few items to update you all on:
There are many projects that are planned, but we felt the projects need to be prioritized and done in a specific order:
- Deweeding. The borough will handle cutting the grass outside of the fence, it will be up to all of the gardeners to maintain the inside. The weeds on the left side of the garden have grown quite a bit, we will need to pull/ weed whack them.
- Spreading of compost. There are still several piles of compost that will need to be spread on the left side, weeding should be done before this happens.
- Shed foundation. Jack Fields has graciously donated his shed to the garden. We will need to select a location for the shed, level out the ground and create a stone foundation.
- Shed install. A local towing company has offered to relocate the shed to the garden, however, we will need some manpower to assist in moving the shed to the foundation. This will be tricky because the garden is already fenced in.
- Animal Deterrent. There has been sightings of a groundhog and rabbits, who have wreaked havoc on lettuce and other crops. Neil Manning has procured some human hair from a local salon which is used to deter these animals. However, a longer term fix is needed. A potential fix is closing up the openings from the bottom of the garden fence to the ground. This is open for discussion.
- Picnic Tables/ Pumpkin Patch/ Blueberries. Once the left side of the garden is complete, there was a desire to plant pumpkins & blueberries in idle plots for the fall. Also, would like to have a picinic table or 2.
I think these projects can happen over several weekends, so I have a schedule below, please let me know if you are able to make any of the following days, your help is greatly appreciated:
- Saturday, July 7th, 9AM - Lets meet to pull all of the weeds and conduct general garden maintenance. We want to think about where the compost bin & barrels final spot should be. Can also pick a shed/ picnic table location.
- Saturday July 14th, 9AM - If there is enough people around to assist, I will rent the dingo again and we will spread all the compost on the left side.
Next Garden Meeting:
The borough offices will be closed for our meeting in July. However, I will still have a meeting, but will have it at the garden on Wednesday, July 25th @ 7pm. Hope to see you there!
The website (www.greenconshy.org) is the place to go for news. I have also created forums where you can share/ post ideas. In order to post, you must create an account with the website (only need an email address). The application form is also on the site, so if you know anyone who wants a plot, please send them to the website!
That's all for now, let me know if you are able to make any of the work days coming up.